Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The secret of Venice

To me Venice is the most beautiful and the most Romantic city of the world.  On my first trip to Venice I boarded a Vaporetto  (water bus) en route to my hotel, as I sat there watching the traffic on water, transfixed by the organized system of stopping and starting at stops I felt that I was witness to a grand idea which is now an old reality.  A whole town in the sea.  My water bus zig zagged its way around to Piazza San Marco at snail speed but I didn't care, I was held in staring competition with the luxury of the homes of the wealthy citizens of Venice, also wondering what is their jobs and life style living in such a home and who are their friends and what impact does it have on your culturally to live like this.  As night time fell onto the water the city lights came on, little color glows in Arabic styled lamps lit up the canals and bridges I remember thinking that even the rats are in a special place.  I knew some of the history to this region of Italy and what intrigued most was there independence from Rome and their struggle to hold onto their own power.  But for me the secret to Venice is not to make plans, forget schedules and time tables.  Don't even bring a map or a guide book.   For sure just throw all plans away and wander around getting lost as often as possible and I hope that you will find yourself in the Jewish ghetto it's an amazing part of Venice.  





Sean T.
Angel Tours Italy - Christmas 2014-2015

No comments:

Post a Comment